Wednesday, April 9, 2008

carnation-instant-soccer-coach


i signed cody up in february to play soccer this spring. the teams are really small, about 7-8 kids with 3 vs 3 on a field at a time. most of the teams started practicing in the middle of march, but our team never heard from the coach. yesterday i received a phone call from another mom on the team asking if i had heard anything about practices since the first game is this saturday. anyway, long story short i called the director to find out the coach had a medical emergency and had put caoching on the back burner and some how, with a little apprehension, i instantly became the soccer coach for this little team of 4-6 year olds. i called all of the parents and scheduled soccer practice for wed. thurs. frid. of this week to catch up & to get the kids aquainted with the game and each other (since most have never played). also found out we were short a player and recruited brinley...YAY!!! it was a little nerve racking because my soccer coaching skills are harldy professional.... uh umm.. none. but the director sent me some tips and drills to play with the kids. i also got a few pointers from a friend who had a similar coaching experience. (thanks karen!!) i told myself if some one actually had the guts to come up and tell me i sucked, i could tell them to sign up and do it themselves. i was hesitant to coach cody's team beacuse i didn't think he would look at me as an authority" coach" figure while on the field. anyway, we had our first practice this afternoon and it went pretty good ( i don't know, how did you feel about it arah?....) it took a lot of the initial stress off and i got to know the kids personalities & what works and doesn't. they kind of tend to glob around the ball and play in the mud, but it's cute. one of the tips was to tell the kids they were carrots and carrots don't have arms to keep them from using theire hands. it was fun. cody was a little distracting and kept trying to pull the whole this is MY mom thing. i think it will be a good experience for cody and i to work through though. sooooo, it you have any tips send them my way!!

5 comments:

Arah said...

you did great! Brinley loves it and played for an hour in the basement with her soccer ball. She can't wait for tomorrow. You'll be fine!

Anonymous said...

Julie, where did you get that picture? It's a classic. Now you are an official "soccer mom".

Kaisa Bailey said...

That sounds fun and funny. I am in charge of sharing time in our ward and last time my son was TOTALLY pulling the "my mom" thing in front of everyone during my sharing time...I was so stunned I didn't even know how to handle it. Good luck with coaching and let me know if you figure anything out about being a different kind of authority figure to your child...I need it!

Kami said...

*laughs*

Love the picture! That's classic :)

I'll be around tomorrow to see if I can give any pointers and advice, as I'm supposed to be able to 'coach' 60 grown men on how to be soldiers. Or so the theory goes.

DeAnne said...

Wow! You are so adventurous! I am sorry I have no soccer coaching tips to give though. I could tell you one or two things about violin though. :)