Thursday, May 1, 2008

deer treats.

i planted about 80-100 tulip bulbs last fall. i plant them every year and love them even though they only make their short appearance for a couple of weeks. this year mine hardly came up at all. someone said it might have been from the very, VERY long winter and snow we had. also, we get a lot of woodland critters, deer, squirrel, quail and even the occasional moose. and the deer have been eating the heads off of the few that actually popped up. mmmmmm.... yummy. my parents had the same problem this year. darn deer.... i've never had this happen. maybe it's because everything is so late blossoming this year and the deers are hungry. it was a little dissapointing. out of all i planted, i only got these 6 or 7 that blossomed. i hurried and picked them before they were nibbled away... :(
it was super nice out today so this afternoon we worked on the little retaining rock wall up by our front yard flower bed. the kids were extra helpful. i'm hoping to get it finished by tomorrow and get everything planted. we also ripped out a bunch of overgrown junk growing in the back yard and got new grass seed planted. yay!! i can't wait for it to come up. i'll post before and after pictures of the progress.

3 comments:

Darla said...

Can I see pics of your house?

DeAnne said...

I hate deer! We get tons of deer roaming the streets of Newport at night. Wretched animals! I especially love all the deer poop they leave behind after eating all of your plants. Jerks!

marychild said...

I can't believe how motivated you people are! I am seriously impressed at all your home-improvement efforts; it's inspiring.

And who doesn't love tulips? I want to plant 100 bulbs...

I read your blog and think, "Me too, me too"! Thanks for the inspiration...