Monday, June 9, 2008

rain. part II


my good friend dana smith stopped by this afternoon. i was showing her the progress on the house and we were standing in the garage listening to the thunder and rain poor down. it could'nt have been better timing for her to come by. i needed a boost. we started talking about the state of the nation and the world. recently obama's wife was speaking about purpose and acheivement... how if your the mother who always settles to stay home, that's all you'll ever be. kind of casting being a mom off as being second to a career women with "real" purpose. and i think man, having a career is definitly second to the amazing opportunity i've been given to raise a family. a career means nothing in the grand scheme of my life. it makes me sad to think that so much of the world sees life this way. that motherhood is nothing more than a milestone on the ladder of success. i see some of these poor kids that cody goes to school with. they are shuffled from home to daycare to school to daycare and home again. what kind of life is that? i wonder where they get any real affection. you can see it in their little personalities. that they are lacking something. i fully understand that some people are put in positions where they don't have a choice, but i am so thankful that i can be home with cody. i wouldn't give it up for anything. thanks for coming to visit dana and giving my day a different perspective. i love you.

6 comments:

Risawn said...

Indeed, Barack Obama and his wife have started to concern me, especially with the mass appeal behind him even though he has so many qualities that show that he is not qualified to be President. And he will very likely be our next president. But for some reason, I haven't held to much concern that no matter what happens in the world, as long as I have my head on straight and know who I am, I will be alright.

Here I am, a single woman with no kids, I have a career in the military if you could call it that, and I feel like something is missing, I need to focus on that part of my life. I would very much like to stay at home and raise my own kids, I think I could be happy doing that, and you got people like Michelle Obama who downgrade the role of the mother in the home, as if society is better at raising a child then their own parents are, and people wonder why the world is so screwed up these days.

Its been pretty here over the last few days, but I can sense it will probably rain today. I'm the precise opposite though, I love rain.

Risawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Risawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Risawn said...

Sorry about the post in triplicate. gotta love slow internet connections that take forever to think through a process.

Kaisa Bailey said...

I love reading your posts! I'm always so uplifted, even when your talking about something that could be totally depressing...you make it sound so good. Thanks Julie!

Marnie said...

My girls are away for a week-yes it's nice to have a break from being a mommy. But there is emptiness without them. I miss their cuteness and how they really do motivate me to become a better person. Life is more magical as a mom.
It is about to rain here, I am so excited! I can here the thunder. The girls little rain boots will miss them today. Sigh...I miss them.