Sunday, August 17, 2008

toastyness.

today was toasty. maybe it felt even more toasty because my body is slowly transitioning into a toaster. anyway, we spent the afternoon at mom & dads with arah & matt. mom's been out of town in utah all week with brian and his girls and we didn't want dad to get too lonely or hungry. so we took him some french-dip-sandwiches-and-chocolate-cream-pie-dinner. it was nice just to hang out and watch some olympics....but the womens sand volley ball against china! terrible, it was pretty sad. however, everything involving the mens track and field was amazing, no matter who won. i believe some of those kenyan runners were running here in spokane for the bloomsday race. :) anyway.... after we got home tonight, cody rode around the neighborhood on his bike and showed us all of his "tricks". the video below is my favorite. he rides and then sticks his legs and feet straight forward to rest on the "girlfriend bars" as we call them. you know, the bars hanging off of the front wheels to give your buddy a ride. its the cutest thing & he is so proud of it. (oh, and don't mind the narrator... is it just me or does everyone hate the sound of their own voice?)
i had to snap a few pictures because i realized today is august 17th and he will be starting 1st grade in a couple of short weeks. no more summer and riding around the neighborhood carelessly all day and evening...this was the first summer he learned to ride without his training wheels. and i still can't believe i will be sending him to school for 6 1/2 hours a day! he still such a baby to me. we recently went and stocked up on back to school supplies & goodies, backpacks and a brand new insulated lunch bag and water bottle. (no one uses those super rad but outdated metal boxes anymore that we used, however i must say they were way cooler looking....) the summer always seems to go too fast. we do have a few more fun things planned before the summer is up. including a trip to seattle with the fam. and maybe i'll finish one of the 3 books i started at the beginning of the summer...

5 comments:

DeAnne said...

that's a cute video. probably just the start of some crazy "tricks" he will get into when he is older, huh? What a cute kid.

marychild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marychild said...

Julie, I am completely losing my mind! I just left an idiotic comment on your blog so I had to delete it. Sorry!

I was originally writing to thank you for your supportive comment on my last post- which I very much appreciated and needed to hear everything you said- and then I went on to ask if you're having a boy or a girl, because I'm SO sleep-deprived & had completely forgotten that you are having a boy that you may name, Gage!!! I swear I'm losing it!!!

I LOVE Gage's name and am always thrilled when other people use it too; I say go for it!

And, I have to tell you that it made me smile when I read that you have to introduce yourself over & over in Relief Society, and you're always asked, "How long have you been in the ward?" That is the story of my adult LDS life!!! It makes me feel so much better to know there is at least one more person out there who has dealt with the "black sheep" syndrome in Mormon land. Thanks for the empathy. And, good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

julie said...

mary, your so funny! we actually stil don't know what we're having... but i think its a boy. ;)

Darla said...

I hope it's a boy and I love the name Gage. ANYWAY, cute cutest video. What a sweetie pie you have. And your voice!! You sound just like Auntie Julia. Crazy. I have it down on the calendar that we're going to Seattle on the 30th. Geof. will even have those days off. Yipee!!!