Wednesday, February 8, 2012

longish.

we live in a world full of constant comparison and pride. some people racing to the top of whatever they desire at any cost or the expense of others... and really only doing their best to be better than others. to get ahead. to be on top. it's pretty sad to think of just how self centered and self righteous people can be instead of trying to share and help other people be happy. isn't that really the main goal of life? to be happy? to truly be happy? to help others be happy? with where you are in your progress, even if your not yet where you hope to end up? even in the every day to day living?


i recently listened to an incredible speaker. one thing that really stood out... and i've heard it before but the way he said it really made an impact- he said that lifes struggles and trials are meant specifically for us... and how we choose to handle them and work through them will make all of the difference in the world. having a healthy positive outlook and attitude can make or break your life. for real. when we become depressed and give up and cave into negative temptations and addictions- it literally destroys us. i've learned this the hard way more than once. everyone is guilty of making poor decisions at one point or another and i don't think it is healthy to go around beating ourselves up over it. and over analyzing and would have-could have-should have thinking...more important to realize to learn from our mistakes and truly strive to make better choices in the future. anyway. i loved it and have been trying to look at life that way even more than i did before.

i've been trying to really trim down the amount of comparison i do. even when its not intentional. even getting caught up in having too many blogs on my reader list... or following too many photographers sites. you end up doubting yourself. ive tried to limit my reading to people i truly admire, family and close friends... who when i read or look at their images i go away feeling inspired to continue living my own life the best i can and refining my own goals and talents... vs. feeling bad about my own life or what i might not have.. maybe even resentful or jealous.

anyway...

i really, really loving running!! surprise! the more i do it the more i love it! for physical reasons, but also because its some of the best therapy i've found. i love putting races on the calendar to look forward to.  however... i also love it to the point where at times i feel like it could be becoming an addiction. someone told me that addictions are addictions and it's not healthy to have them at all, even if they might be a healthy habit (there is a difference...). if you become too addicted to any one thing, what happens when you can no longer have it?  i learned just what that meant when i injured myself running. its been about 6 weeks ago that i noticed my hip was causing me some serious grief. i think i probably over did it at the end of last year and i wasn't taking enough breaks. i ran on it anyway hoping that i could just run through it, to the point that i could hardly walk and would wake up limping.  honestly,  i've never been the greatest at stretching out of sheer lack of desire, and i probably have a pretty crappy runner diet which i'm sure helped cause it.

so after finally having it checked out and doing some continued physical therapy sessions, i should be good in 3-6 weeks. (blah!!) i've compensated with a lot of the rowing machine and recumbent biking-not quite the same.. and i feel like it's driving me insane!!..but i'm coping and working with it. a lesson learned from a negative situation. i was not listening or taking care of my body the way i should have been. too stubborn to try something else in place of beloved running.  i'm now even more thankful for the fact that i even have legs..and arms and planning to take much better care and time stretching, yoga etc.... i keep telling myself that things will work out, and i'll still have plenty of time to train for runs i plan to participate in. but seriously, it's been LAME(!!!!!!!) and a little difficult to adjust to.

i have no idea why this was all blurted out..i'm not even sure that it makes sense. i was in the mood. and it's been a good long while.
Pinned Image 

3 comments:

Kaisa Bailey said...

Hey cousin! I'm glad you posted, and I love your consistent honesty on your blog, LOVE IT. It always makes me feel so good, so thank YOU for that. I needed this today.

Darla said...

So lame. Running's the best. Hard to move to other things. I love that I can get a great workout in about 45 minutes-out my front door! Hang in there-do pilates, yoga..and spin! I love spin classes. When I had my knee surgery, deep water swim classes saved me, as well.

DeAnne said...

I love this post Julie :) I really enjoy your blog in general. I have a lot of the same feelings that you share here. And I like your perspective. I can totally relate to the running injury. I actually just today, finally made an appointment to see my foot Doctor. It sucks to not be able to run, or run without pain. Because you are right, running is THERAPY!!! dangit anyway :)