Thursday, March 7, 2013

winnemucca nevada : 1983

the other day i was scrolling through some old parts of this blog, trying to find a photo... anyway, it was fun to remember a lot of things that i had forgotten about while reading through it. i haven't been great about keeping up with much of anything on here for a while now... but i kind of miss it.  i think i'm going to try a little project, go back in time and remember some stories that i haven't documented so that i'll have them somewhere before i forget. even if just for my own good, and for my family too. i'm talking way back in time...like little julie childhood time:

this was my 4th birthday. i got a little white dress with pink ribbon and lace trim and flowers (my mom swears it was pink) 2 packs of bubbleyum and a baby doll. i remember it vividly....that was our dog sam. we all LOVED sam.. we were living in the dustbowl of winnimucca nevada- where you couldn't grow a front yard to save your life. the wind would just pick up the grass seeds and carry them away. i remember all of the trailers (everyone had trailers...) and sage brush... sandstorms and scorpions and the snakes(!!) and wild dog packs...neighbors seemed to live miles apart from one another in that desert... i'm sure i'm painting a quite a picture.. but i have nothing but wonderful memories of this place and i truly mean that.  this was the home where we got our first vcr/atari/microwave... where my mom drove the school bus and me and my baby sister would ride around with her- too young to got to school ourselves... where we had dozens of chickens, and a pet lamb... where we made a mud ball fort and constantly tried to fight off the ant hills that were everywhere...where we sled down the rolling backyard hills in the winter...where i played the part of the elf in "the elves and the shoemaker", where i got my first cabbage patch kid with a green gingham dress and brown pony tails...where i cried for my dad to come pick me up from my first spend the night (i always secretly hated spend the nights...i loved my family too much for that nonsense).. where our parents would take all 6 of us kids out for dinner to round table pizza or mcdonalds (this was a BIG deal..)  we moved a few days after i finished kindergarten to utah. i was 5 years old.

2 comments:

Toni Englestead said...

Wow! You explained the Nevada desert small town perfectly. We just moved away from Tonopah nv, I think its a few hours from winnemucca. And I will never ever take green grass for granted again. Or trees! The desert makes you miss trees! :)

Tyanna said...

okay, i loved this post. even though i don't know you that well and i don't know any of your family, i am inspired by the way you remember things about your childhood. a long time ago i read your "100 things about me" post and it made me compelled to remember and journal about the little things that have happened in my life and the special people/memories that make have helped shape the person i've become.

anyway, great post. you are an inspiring person. glad i get to run with ya in july.